All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 suggestions for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest progressing fields of medicine. Never before have numerous clinical breakthroughs and new methods emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio ads are filled with incredible stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free method to correct vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than successful. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medication is an educated patient. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, offers the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by fancy advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Choose a doctor who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional does not know can hurt you.
Ask for details on look at this website your doctor's LASIK eye surgical treatment issue rates. If your physician will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask what steps are taken to prevent infection. Search for a center with a dust-free or sterile operating space. Make certain that non reusable parts are not recycled. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgery. Discount rate surgery is as great as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are unworthy the danger of getting less than skilled care!
Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, however do not expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as private as each patient. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably use better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, don't lose sight of the benefits: for many people, a lifetime of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually enhanced the vision of millions of individuals around the world.